For a short one week project, I was told I must choose any song I like, and create a poster using the lyrics. There were a range of requirements for this poster:
– Can only use shades and tints of white, black and one other colour.
– Must use ALL the lyrics of the song.
– A maximum of 50% of the lyrics can be set as a column/block of text.
– The poster must represent what the song is about.
– There must be 2 different typefaces used.
– There can not be any pictorial elements.
I struggled with this brief due to the length of the song I chose and because I could not use any pictorial elements. I wanted a sophisticated strong design that was easily relatable to the song.
The typefaces I used where a calligraphy type and a sans serif type, I felt they worked together and the sans serif type would make the calligraphy stand forward in the composition. I used illustrator to adjust some of the calligraphy type so that certain characters from each line joint together to make it flow. I then made the rest of the lyrics in to a diamond shape, making it much more relative to the song. I used a combination of lines and copies of the diamond body text to make a poster full of layers and different elements. I feel the poster has become almost three dimensional because of these layers and the use of colours.